Intertextual Connections


When mothers do know best...

In the latest of post surgery recovery, I was grounded by mother and in this case, also father and naturally mother nature simply because it was pouring on a Sunday afternoon. In their efforts to make sure my eyes are recovered fully, they impose the chinese idealogy of no eggs, no meat, no seafood as it is deemed toxic. Dad says no reading, no staring at the computers - please close them and rest.

I did just rest, I physically rested a lot. But one can only rest so much. It's a rare opportunity for me to be laying in bed for hours because I realize that I need to get busy and there must be a certain pace for myself. The no sweat policy for November is a bit difficult to manage because it means no gym, no badminton, no heavy duty physical stuff because I can't get water or soap and sweat into my eye.

Naturally, that required new ways of bathing.

My mum helped me improvise. No she didn't bathe me.

I had not wash my hair since surgery and it was getting really itchy. I came home, and mum said no to washing my hair because it's still very close to post surgery timing. I told her, "I cannot tahan already...I should have gone to your hairdresser and let her wash for me, ha ha". She seconded the idea but obviously it was close as I got home late from work. She said then, "wear your goggles and shower...". I was like, "huh?"

Then, light bulb moment :)

It worked, I got my hair washed. and I now wear goggles when I shower. Don't get any speedo ideas but it gets the job done.

On another lap, in my times of physical restful weekend unfortunately my mind was one that was blaring with many work thoughts. It's been quite heavy at the workplace and I had to step up my game. So the pressure was on even after working hours, I kept the momentum going but quickly realize a spasm sunday evening.

I was detaching myself from God in a sense of alignment. I was not prioritizing Him first. Quickly, I realised the sense of unsettled peace for yes, I have covered all bases in work but mind and heart will still running heat. That wasn't ideal. So I spend monday morning in quiet and just seeking and it became a faithful reminder that He is in control of everything.

I always wonder What will happen tomorrow? No one knows, everything is uncertain but God.

This morning was became a rare routine as I pulled out Oswald Chambers devotional which has been religiously placed at my work table but it's been a while since I had a morning read. I particularly enjoyed this portion of Intimate Theology entry:-

To believe is to commit. In the area of intellectual learning I commit myself mentally, and reject anything not related to that belief. In the realm of personal belief I commit myself morally to my convictions and refuse to compromise. But in intimate personal belief I commit myself spiritually to Jesus Christ and make a determination to be dominated by Him alone

He ends by saying this:-

I find faith is as natural as breathing. And I am staggered when I think how foolish I have been in not trusting Him earlier.

I guess my take on this sometimes when we get into the busyness of life and we start panting, we forget our very own life-spiritual support - his word.

So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7 NLT)

And to be humble requires focus not on sin, temptation or worldly matters - but God himself. And that's like how mothers sometimes sets a twinkle in your eye and you just know, they know best as much as does God knows you.

And the day begins, it's time to wear my goggles and swim through the work day :)

3 Responses to “When mothers do know best...”

  1. # Blogger z

    wah, your mom is quite creative!!!!!

    rest up. rest is a privilege. :)

    (no computer, no reading? i will die.)  

  2. # Blogger rizumu

    hehe, yeah i think so too :) brilliant.

    yes indeed. rest. i particularly need another form of rest right now.

    i.know.what.u.mean - imagine being locked up in the room and diving for facebook/msn attention crying out - pls talk to me or play scrabble with me :p  

  3. # Blogger ellacy

    hehe...too bad didnt know u then, wouldnt mind playing boardgames with u..monopoly! anyways, I really like the line " no she didnt bathe me"..it came so spontaneous, it made me laugh..haha..:)  

Post a Comment



© 2005-2006 Intertextual Connections | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.